Welcome to our website! SHARON LODGE No.327 of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons (A.F. & A.M.) is an active family and community oriented fraternal organization located in the Commonwealth of Virginia since 1891. All members, family, and freinds are welcome to join us for dinner (6:30 pm) and program (7:30 pm) on the 2nd Thursday of each month. Send us an RSVP if you plan to attend:
Keep up-to-date with all the latest announcements, events, and news happening at our Lodge. Check us out on social media or feel free to call us with your questions/comments.
Freemasonry (or Masonry) is dedicated to the Brotherhood of Man under the Fatherhood of God. It uses the tools and implements of ancient architectural craftsmen symbolically in a system of instruction designed to build character and moral values in its members. Its singular purpose is to make good men better. Its bonds of friendship, compassion, and brotherly love have survived even the most divisive political, military, and religious conflicts through the centuries. Freemasonry is a Fraternity, which encourages its members to practice the faith of their personal acceptance. Masonry teaches that each person, through self-improvement and helping others, has an obligation to make a difference for good in the world.
Who Are The Masons and What Do They Do?
Where Did Freemasonry Begin? What Do Freemasons Do? What Is The Masonic Lodge? Who Can Qualify To Join?
Several Masonic Principles Are:
Masons have probably always lived in McLean. The first record is that of Crescent Lodge No. 236. It was granted a dispensation on August 10, 1891, and was located in the southwest corner of the intersection at Lewinsville. Included among the members were names such as Storm, Carper, McGarity, Cockrell, Kenyon, Money, Williams, and Peacock. Crescent Lodge moved to Tysons Corner, then to Vienna to the present location of Concord Lodge No.307. Crescent became inactive on March 10, 1909. On February 10. 1910, Concord Lodge No. 307 was chartered.
Sharon Lodge No. 327 was granted a dispensation on February 11, 1916, by the Grand Lodge of Virginia, and the first meeting was held on the second floor of Storms Store located at the point of Elm Street and Old Dominion Drive. Business meetings were held at the store and degree work was held at Franklin Sherman High School, which was located behind the Sunoco station on Chain Bridge Road. In 1919, all the activity moved to the school.
In 1921, the Lodge agreed to exchange a lot owned by J. A. Storm for a lot on Fairfax Highway (now Chain Bridge Road) and Emerson Street, and construction for a white frame building began on September 21, 1921, the cornerstone was laid seventeen days later with the new temple dedicated on November 30, 1921, two months later.
During the early 1920's the Lodge laid the cornerstone for St. Johns Parish House and attended the cornerstone laying, and parade, for the George Washington Masonic National Memorial in Alexandria. By 1930 the Lodge had sixty-three members and the dues were $2.50 a year.
Sharon Chapter No. 63, Order of the Eastern Star was formed in 1922, Bethel No. 9, International Order of Jobs Daughters in 1940. In 1943 the Lodge moved to Sharon. Bethel No. 65 was formed in 1969 and now meets n Kemper Lodge in Falls Church. Harold K. Land Chapter, Order of DeMolay was founded in 1955, but has been disbanded.
In 1972, the old frame building was considered unsafe and inadequate and it was sold to the American Oil Company. The Lodge continued to rent the building until it was required to vacate in 1977. The Lodge moved to the American Legion Hall on Balls Hill Road, and later moved to Concord Lodge. The Lodge bought three acres on Balls Hill Road and began planning to build a new temple. Those three acres were part of the original property owned by Commodore Thomas Catesby Jones in the early 1800's. The Commodore called his farm Sharon. The Carpers bought a portion of the farm in 1911, and retained the name Sharon. In 1916 the Lodge chose the same name.
In 1973, with $70,000.00 from the sale of the old building, and $45.00 in the temple corporation, the Lodge began the task of raising money. In 1974, the Sunday morning breakfasts were initiated. Also, in 1974, the Lodge started selling Christmas Trees. Individual contributions were phenomenal. Members of the Lodge really came through. The other organizations have contributed greatly to the building program, including members of other Lodges. The Masonic family and friends supported the Lodge with loans, to avoid getting a loan from a bank. The total project cost nearly $450,000.00.
You will notice that no names have been mentioned. There are a lot of people responsible for the success of the Lodge. Some contributed without getting credit, starting in 1916. There were some, who contributed money and labor, and some who did not and could not afford to, or who were not able to. The Lodge owes so much to so many. However, there is one whom it must thank, the Supreme Architect of the Universe. Without the help of God and constant prayer the monumental task could not have been performed.
|Worshipful Master||Edward Brooks Jones|
|Senior Warden||Joseph Carrico Blue III|
|Junior Warden||Richard Orville Miles, Jr.|
|Treasurer||Arun Sundarram Muralidhar|
|Secretary||Phillip Edwin Graves, PDDGM|
|Senior Deacon||Jeffrey Burbank Cook|
|Junior Deacon||Reynaldo Ludring Gan|
|Marshal||Howard Michael Sobel|
|Tiler||Robert Browning Rench Jr.,PM|
|Lodge Instructor of Work||Jason Harris Gerbsman, PDDGM|
|Sharon’s Scholarship Program||Jeffrey Burbank Cook|
|Information Tech. Committee||Jack Frances Caffrey|
Please use the following links to make your on-line payments.
Masonic District 54